The handgun section at the Annapolis Valley Shooting Sports Club is made of both competitive and casual shooters. Semi-automatics pistols and revolvers in a variety of calibers are used by members.
Tuesday evenings are open for all handgun shooters to make use of the indoor range (No. 1) and 25m outdoor range (No. 3).
Friday evenings are open to all handgun shooters that wish to participate in Precision Pistol Competition (PPC) on the indoor range (No. 1). Also on Friday evenings the 25m outdoor range (No. 3) is available to all handgun shooters.
Handgun shooters are reminded to always check the club Calendar for updates regarding scheduled practices.
- Precision Pistol Competition (PPC) – A shooting sport focusing on precision shooting from a variety of stances (standing, kneeling, sitting and prone) at varying distances (3, 7, 15, 25 and 50 yards), including shooting from behind an obstacle. PPC matches are held on Friday evenings. The first Friday of every month is rim fire only, the remaining Fridays for that month is centerfire only.
- Steel Challenge – The Steel Challenge is a speed shooting competition that consists of eight standardized stages with steel targets, ranging in size from 10″ (25 cm) round plates to 18×24″ (45×60 cm) square plates. Competitors are scored solely by the time it takes them to complete each stage, and the match winner is the competitor with the lowest overall time.
- Bullseye practice is held on both the 18m indoor range (No. 1) and 25m outdoor range (No. 3)
- PPC matches are held on the 18m indoor range (No. 1)
- Steel Challenge practices are held on the 25m outdoor range (No.3)